Check out my Maglite blog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/ For all things Maglite.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

1970 2D Kel-Lite with Prototype Mace Holder

Happy 4th everyone!! I'll be busy celebrating a little later but I wanted to add another post here first. I purchased a lot of some pretty rare and one off lights about a month ago and I'm still going through them all to see if everything works and to find out some more info on them. This one is likely one of a kind. It' s 2D very early Kel-Lite with a prototype mace holder. This is a Covina model from around 1970. There is no serial number so it is very early as serial numbers started in 1971.



This is a standard 2D Kel-Lite small head (Model 2D-SKL) except instead of an end cap it has a mace holder. If you'll notice it's stamped Pat. Pend. Gem Lite patented this design as well as a number other of Kel-Lite's designs while they were still being prototyped. Gem Lite and Kel-Lite both shared the same machinist and in the early days of the industry folks were not as crazy about patenting inventions or trademarking designs and logos as they are now. Rather than sue, Kel-Lite waited for Gem Lite to fold after only 2 years in business. The whole setup proved to be cumbersome and wasn't well received so Kel-Lite never produced it and Gem Lite only produced it for a short time.



Kel-Lite produced fewer than a dozen of these for testing purposes. This is the only one I've ever seen and it even included a period correct sample mace canister. The bottom is drilled out so it contains no liquid. It's for demo use only.



It's roughly the same length as a 4D Maglite. Shown below is a picture for comparison purposes.



As always I'm looking to buy vintage and rare aluminum flashlights. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

1 comment:

  1. I have a kel lite judo stick if you are interested. Email me

    ReplyDelete