Check out my Maglite blog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/ For all things Maglite.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

1971 2C Kel-Lite with Lanyard Ring and Judo Stick

I've been meaning to post here for some time but I've been so focused on getting my Maglite page up that I haven't had a whole lot of time. Well, I figured after 2 weeks and no posts that I better get going. What could be better than starting out with the light that started modern flashlights, the Kel-Lite?

The first Kel-Lite from my collection is this 2C with the rarely seen lanyard tail cap. It is a first generation Kel-Lite as is easily identifiable from the plastic switch. Later lights went to a metal slide switch and then an internal switch. This is a 1971 or 1972 light as per Kel-lite's official dating guide found also on the right side tool bar. This is because it lacks the Kel-Lite stamp behind the switch as well as the cell and size designation and it is from Covina, CA. Production moved to Barstow in 1973. It's a really nice setup. The light is small and light enough where it could easily be carried on a lanyard. These lanyard ring end caps were available in C and D cell sizes. The other optional end cap, the judo end cap, was only available in C size. The judo end caps are rarer than the lanyard style. The light is in as new condition.




This light also came with a very rare Kel-Lite judo stick. These judo sticks were a natural jump for Kel-Lite because they were machined out of aluminum on a lathe in a similar manner to the flashlights. This was one of the earliest models. Later models matched the judo end caps on their C cell lights as shown below. These were sold only to police unlike their other products. These were sold from 1970 to 1975 and are very tough to come by now. Don Keller even wrote a book detailing the judo stick and flashlight defense tactics titled "Kel-Lite Manual of Defensive Tactics". I have some more info about the judo end cap and 1st Gen Kel-Lites in another post.



As always I'm looking to buy vintage and rare aluminum flashlights. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

9 comments:

  1. I have a judo stick that I am willing to part with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I also have a 1971 or 72 1st gen with the lanyard ring at the end. No markings behind a plastic switch, and was made in Covina, California.
      Also in like new condition. And it is in the 3c model.
      If I can get an estimate value and I Teresa level it would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time, I knew there were others like me...
      I finally feel at home. Lol

      Delete
    2. Sorry. Approximate value and interest level. I know it is pretty rare and I have had it for years.
      1st gen Kel Lite 3c Lanyard ring Like new

      Delete
  2. I have a 3 cell I believe with a lanyard ring. Perfect Condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jason came across this site researching the kel light. I have a gen 1 1972 to 3 ish 6D I just found in my grandpas stuff. It's 17 and 1/2 in Long. I was trying to price it to put it up on eBay but I'm letting you know first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gen 1 6d. get ahold of me if you're interested

    ReplyDelete