Check out my Maglite blog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/ For all things Maglite.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Pro-Lights

Don Keller of Kel-Lite fame left Kel-Lite in 1972 after being bought out by Norm Nelson. Immediately afterwards Don wanted to get back into the flash light industry as this was his passion. A company called VSI wound up backing Don Keller to create Pro-Light. The Kel-Lite was often marketed as "The Professional Light" which is where the name came from. VSI was similar to Brinkmann, they were a consumer products conglomerate mostly specializing in outdoor products. Shown below is a VSI ad from 1976 showing a large head Pro-Light as well as their mini light. They had several models with the most popular being their aluminum D cell small head.



VSI sold in 1976 to another company called ITT. ITT insisted upon using a union shop as part of their marketing for Pro-Lights. After the cost analysis came back the lights were astronomically more expensive using union labor. As such ITT decided to produce them only in plastic to make up for the cost difference. Don Keller then went to John Bianchi, a gun leather manufacturer, and continued to produce the aluminum style Pro-Light as a Bianchi B-Lite. ITT went out of business shortly thereafter and Pro-Light ceased to exist after only 5 or 6 years in business total around 1979. Shown below is my early ITT Pro-Light. It's a 5D and was well used. I had to make a couple parts for it to get it back into working order but it lights and works now.





Also, inside the head is a nice touch from Pro-Light. It is a bulb chart. These are the flange base PR bulbs. I've done a post on them in my Maglite blog here.



As always I'm looking to buy vintage and rare aluminum flashlights. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

2 comments:

  1. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Have you seen these models https://www.liteshop.com.au/brands/klarus/ ?

    ReplyDelete